Thursday, April 8, 2010

Trips to India

Then there was the trip to India when the kids were 15 month old and according to the aircraft rule, every infant/toddler less than 2 years needs an adult. Luckily, my MiL and FiL were available, and Hubby dear took the business class tickets for a comfortable ride. But the triplets had other plans. They were so excited when they got into the flight, made us think that this is going to be cool. But, they cried throughout the first leg of the flight until the stopover at Europe. It was 7 hours of continuous, hysterically crying. The kids were uncontrollable. We got enough bad vibes from all the people around us, a lady came up to my husband’s ear and told him “I bought a business class ticket, to have a comfortable flight, but you are making this a nightmare for me”. The flight attendants were of little or no help for us. They insisted that we sit down with the belt going around our self and another one that buckles our belt to the child's. They didn’t let us just use one belt, to belt us and the kid together on our lap. After crying so much, they got so tired that they slept through the second leg of the flight. The people in that flight were like “Triplets!!!!!!Oh , how cute !! The kids are so cute!.

The stay at India was another nightmarish experience for me, the kids and my family in India. Hubby dear, accompanied us to India but, couldn’t stay long. The plan was that he would come back to pick us up in about 2 ½ months. The kids were very excited to meet their grandparents and other extended family. We thought it’ll be a great experience for the kids to travel by train to meet their paternal grandparents. So, we went to Tirupati from Hyderabad by train. Within a couple of days , they started getting sick and this started the nightmare. After failing to find a proper doctor or medical facility at Tirupati, we left to B’lore to visit my Brother’s family which was a 5 hour road trip. My parents joined the kids and myself there. The kids would not get better here also. The only food they accepted was milk and it wasn’t getting digested. They had diarrhea, vomiting apart from ear infections. We tried different milk and formula’s. Every doctor gave a different advice and antibiotics. They did not check if the kids could be allergic to an antibiotic, they were so generous writing prescriptions. Soon the kids started to develop rashs because of the antibiotic and it had to be stopped. Then, we flew back to my parents in Hyd. Like magic, as if the kids felt that they were back home, they started to get better and accept other forms of food like rice/daal water etc. Having dealt with 3 sick babies for a month and a half, I had to cut short my visit to India, but Hubby dear wasn’t available to come back so soon to pick us up. So, again my MiL and FiL were generous enough to accompany me and the babies back to US.

My father had not been keeping well and loved being with the kids, so we decided to go to India again the following year. The kids were 2 ½ years old this time. Hubby dear again, left us in India and flew back to US. Having learnt our lesson, this time, we made sure that we did not travel. But, this time it was a different story. A few mosquito bites on the skin brought on so many rashes on the kids skin. We still made it through the trip. I had a very heavy heart as I left to come back home on that night. I had gone to my dad’s room to say goodbye to him. He was unable to walk but, he came out to see us off. I somehow knew that maybe this is the last time I’m going to see him. I don’t even remember if I hugged him tightly. My dad was on dialysis after his kidneys failed.

He died in another 9 months. As I flew to India alone, I did not know that I was going to my dad's funeral, I had thought that I was going to meet my dad as he was very sick. I went to his room and didn't find him there, that's when my mom told me that he had passed away the previous day.

No comments: