Thursday, July 28, 2011

Jetlagged!

It was such a revelation to the kids when they were made aware of this phenomenon!  We travel at jet speed to the other side of the globe, almost through 10 time zones, in a matter of a few hours making our hunger and sleep rhythms go haywire. This is one jetlagged women typing away at the middle of the night waiting out the 10 days of jetlag.  Waiting for my body to become aware that its travelled through all these time zones in a matter of a few hours. Waiting to catch up with Hubby as he functions regularly while his other part, is jetlagged!

After being back from our vacation,  I enter my dear home with this nervous feeling of what condition I was going to find it in. How well had Hubby dear treated it?! How many of my plants had I lost to the absence of my TLC.  In case you wonder how well the home had treated hubby dear? Well, we’d already met Hubby dear at the air-a-port and was happy to see he was doing good. And why not?!   They don’t just make movie dialogues like “No Nagamani…Enzoy!!” for nothing?!

After one such vacation, we had returned to find that I had left a couple of plants inside that totally dried out. My home had turned into this giant dehumidifier. It had even shrunk some of the grout on the wall and had made it crash to the ground..decorating the kitchen floor with a weird pattern of white. 

This time around I was careful enough to leave all the plants outside, to leave it to the care of the elements because that seemed like a better option than relying on Hubby to water them. The weather god had been really ruthless this year with the recent heat wave that the east coast experienced. I did loose some good ones. On the brighter side, most of my jasmine plants had survived..although they were engulfed in weeds.

With Hubby closely watching for any change of expressions on my face, I entered my home and everything seemed to be in its spot. Returning from a dust ridden place..everything felt cleaner although I couldn’t resist myself from letting Hubby know that the counter tops could have been cleaner.

Hubby dear had cooked us a sumptuous south Indian meal but, the girls were more interested in the basics.

Bread and milk!  

These basic “ruchulu” that, they had been deprived of, during the vacation. How can anybody go wrong with such fundamental tastes, they had wondered. How can milk taste so bad else where?  How could bread not feel the same as it did back home?! It had been a shock to the kids! How could people go so wrong with the spice?! Don’t all of us have the same feeling on the tongue?! They had wondered.

Every morning, it had been a pain to get a glass of milk into their system.  Richa used to come to me, and pointing out to my mom with that furtive glance of her’s, she would say…

“I don’t like her milk!”

We had burst out laughing, the first time we heard her say that..then, would start my task of distracting her so she could, would forget that she’s actually drinking up that weird tasting liquid which although, looked like milk, was far off in taste from it.  She had already decided her menu, on the flight back.

“Mama, when I’m in the big red house, I am going to have toasty bread and milk!”

She hadn’t forgotten it when she got home.  The girls had their toasted bread and milk and realized that they hadn’t had such a satisfying meal in some time now.  The bread was soft again and the milk tasted like milk again!!!!

It was the euphoria of “Home Sweet Home”. They had also missed their trampoline. They ran to it as they got of their vehicle. Then started the task of keeping us awake so our biological patterns would find themselves again.

As the day progressed and I heard Hubby talk, it had just felt like a lullaby to me.  While he spoke of a bike trail that he had discovered and the girls were screaming in the other room busy with their play…it all sounded like Brahms Lullaby to me! I just needed to get my sleep!

Hubby had saved a few episodes of “Law & Order, CI” and “White collar” among others that we usually watch together and was waiting to share them with me!  So, after we settled the baggage we sat down to watch TV.  He watched as I fell asleep. He brought tea to wake me up with my favorite snack…and I drank it in sleep, while he waited beside me, hoping to talk a few words.

I tell you, this jetlag thing, as much as its supposed to affect everybody who travels across time zones at high speeds…it truly doesn’t affect people who don’t know or don’t care about it.  I say it from experience, you know!

Take my kids for example. They sure know about it..but, I don’t think they even cared about it, as they lost themselves in their games. They seemed to be doing good. In fact too good to say! They slept regularly, woke up just a little bit early, while I am up at 1am for the second day in a row.   Its always worse when your spouse is in jetlag and you are able to function normally.  When do we talk…when do we catch up..How nice if Hubby dear would stay up with me at this hour!

Not knowing what to do, I had started to empty the bag gages. When that seemed to disturb my sleeping hubby, I went on to my computer. When the sound of typing my blog, seemed to make him restless, I just waited for the clock to move faster Open-mouthed smile 

Can’t that move at high speed too?! Well, then it’ll get jetlagged and then there’ll be another movie to beat 2012! No, I couldn’t risk that thought of another movie like that.

So, I’ve decided that waiting out is a better option. When does any mom get such legit reason to relax and do nothing.  Its getting close to 1pm and I’m going to let myself dose off now……..,mfsdknnnnnnnnnvksiehfaf jlskd oiwef zzzzzzzzzzzz

No comments: